School’s Out Washington (SOWA) is an independent 501c3 organization working to advancing equity through a well-supported expanded learning ecosystem in Washington State. School’s Out Washington is dedicated to building community systems to support quality afterschool, youth development and summer programs for Washington's children and youth ages 5 through young adulthood.
School’s Out Washington’s Communications Coordinator will enhance SOWA’s mission and programs through storytelling, marketing support, and internal and external communications.
Reports to: School’s Out Washington Philanthropic Partnerships Director
Location: 801 23rd Ave S, Seattle, or remote within Washington state
Storytelling and Messaging – 40%
- Curate content for social media, blogs, and other communications pieces and write compelling stories and program spotlights that show the impact of SOWA’s work. Work with Marketing Manager for dissemination on blog, social media, etc.
- Help with organizational writing, ensuring consistency and clarity, for the website, program fliers, and other communications pieces
- Help write content for organizational emails and action alerts
- Help develop a style guide to guide consistency in all of SOWA’s written communications
- Actively participate in communications strategy
Marketing and Website Support – 40%
- Support Marketing Manager with social media – posting, design, some content development
- Coordinate online training and registration system – update content, cross-post trainings, upload new workshops and registrations
- Assist with marketing for annual Bridge conference, including social media content and posting, blog writing, and website writing and editing
- Manage organizational images on ACDSee – uploading and tagging images, maintaining release forms, procuring new images as needed through photo shoots or purchase of stock images
Internal Communications – 15%
- Create, curate content for, and design monthly internal newsletter
- Provide communications and other support for the board of directors, including formatting a monthly report and managing board files
Other responsibilities – 5%
- Actively participate as a member of the Development and Communications teams for SOWA
- Participate in staff meetings, all staff racial equity trainings, and occasional staff retreats
- 2-3 years experience in communications, with emphasis on writing
- Clear and compelling written and verbal communications skills
- Strong editing and proofreading skills and experience using common style guides such as AP or Chicago
- Demonstrated commitment to working toward racial equity and undoing institutional and structural racism
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector preferred
- Proficient with Canva or other design program
- Website management (WordPress, etc.)
- Experience developing social media strategy and curating content is a plus
- Sense of humor, humility, and accountability is a must
Hours and benefits: 40 hours
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Classification: Exempt
Salary: $45,500 – $49,000
Benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, and generous paid time off.
School’s Out Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a commitment to addressing racism, sexism, heterosexism and other discriminatory practices and a commitment to working toward racial equity through undoing institutional and structural racism. People of Color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter as one document to email@example.com with the subject line "Communications Coordinator."
Cover letters should be no more than 2 pages and should outline how your professional background, experience, interests, and passions specifically correlate to the position and School’s Out Washington’s mission and work.
Applications received by August 11, 2020 will receive full consideration. Applications will continue to be accepted after this date. However, preferential consideration is given to those submitted by August 11, 2020. The announcement will remain posted until the position is filled.