Job Posting: Soar Youth Voice Outreach Coordinator
Soar’s mission is to elevate community voice to influence policies and practices that impact children, youth and families. We do this by convening coalitions, aligning strategies, and engaging communities in partnership, and developing family and youth leadership through strength-based approaches. School’s Out Washington serves the host agency, fiscal sponsor and employer of record for Soar staff members.
The Soar Youth Voice Outreach Coordinator supports Soar’s work in the field of youth leadership development. Current bodies of work include convening and supporting a county-wide Youth Advisory Council, and implementing Soar’s role as regional anchor organization for Opportunity Youth United, a national youth-led movement. This fulltime position focuses on community organizing and building a powerful base of youth leaders to drive change in the education, race justice, and opportunity youth movements. The Youth Voice Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for supporting youth-led campaigns and groups to develop their leadership skills and advocate around key issue impacting them. The right person for this position will have a commitment to social justice, and passion for the value that youth voice and perspectives bring to education, human services, government, and business communities. They will be able to apply good judgment in a variety of situations, and to work independently, as the majority of work hours will be spent in the community. The Coordinator will have outstanding communication skills, including the ability to give and receive critical feedback. They will identify needs and propose solutions proactively, asking for help when needed. The successful candidate will find personal satisfaction and enjoyment in bringing together diverse young people from around our large county, so they can experience the power of making change.
Reports to: Soar Youth Organizing Manager
Location: 801 23rd Avenue South, Seattle, Washington 98144
The primary responsibilities of the Youth Voice Outreach Coordinator are to:
- Support continued development of a youth voice movement, in partnership with the Youth Voice Organizing Manager, from base-building to organizing and mobilization.
- Organize and support locally based Opportunity Youth United Community Action Teams in different King County regions to bring the movement to life through civic engagement opportunities and collaboration with local and regional stakeholders.
- Convene regular meetings of the King County Youth Advisory Council; with members and Youth Voice Organizing Manager, plan and co-facilitate Council meetings; convene project-specific working group meetings as projects arise.
- Conduct outreach to invite young people ages 14-24 to join the King County Youth Advisory Council.
- Support Soar’s Voter Education and Census outreach work, including leading voter registration drives, canvassing, phone/text banking, ballot parties, coordinating events, and coordinating leaders and volunteers around civic engagement and electoral activities.
- Mobilize community members and coalition partners to attend targeted events.
- Represent youth voice in various regional advisory and advocacy coalitions.
- Co-design and present trainings to youth and youth development stakeholders.
- Stay informed on relevant trends, issues and research pertaining to youth, opportunity youth, community organizing, civic engagement, and local politics.
- Prepare work plans and progress reports to present at scheduled check-ins and staff meetings; maintain accurate records and documentation.
- Participate in strategic planning and capacity building of Soar, including retreats.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies, and qualities of character:
- A minimum of two years of organizing experience, with a focus on youth organizing and leadership building. High school diploma or equivalent (such as GED).
- Experience in community organizing strategies, tactics and grassroots activism.
- Solid understanding of and experience with social media campaigning and messaging.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams, participate in cross-agency planning and work with a diverse set of stakeholders, coalitions and partners.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally, including public speaking.
- Commitment to working toward racial equity in educational systems, social justice, civic engagement, and youth development.
- Administrative skills including computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to maintain accurate records and documentation.
- Outstanding work ethic, self-motivated, ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Ability to travel independently throughout King County, including valid WA State driver’s license, current liability insurance, and willingness to use personal vehicle for outreach activities.
- Ability to work frequent evenings and weekends.
- Experience and comfort working in and with diverse communities.
- Sense of humor, humility and respect for self and others.
Hours and Benefits:
- 40 hours per week; frequent evenings and weekends required.
- Annual salary range: $40,306-$45,024 to be determined based on experience and qualifications.
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Classification: Salaried, Exempt.
- Benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, and Paid Time Off.
Our Equity Commitment
Soar, hosted and fiscally sponsored by School’s Out Washington, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Soar is committed to addressing racism, sexism, heterosexism and other discriminatory practices, and to working toward racial equity through undoing institutional and structural racism. Women, People of Color, and LGBTQ+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should, submit a cover letter and resume, including three (3) references, through our employment portal which can be accessed at the following link: Apply For This Job or to email@example.com with the subject line "Soar Youth Voice Outreach Coordinator".
Please upload or send your resume and cover letter as one document. Cover letters should be no more than two (2) pages and should outline how your professional background, experience, interests, and passions specifically correlate to the position and Soar’s mission and work.
Applications received by Monday, March 2, 2020 will receive full consideration. Applications will continue to be accepted after this date. However, preferential consideration is given to those resumes submitted by March 2. The announcement will remain posted until the position is filled.