Funding for Meals
Afterschool and summer meals are a critical need that is often unavailable in many areas. You can help – become a provider! These resources can help you include nutritious food in your afterschool or summer program.
Recommended Washington State Resources
This handbook provides an introduction to the “At-Risk” Afterschool Meal program. Published by Children's Alliance and OSPI
This document reviews eligibility, program requirements, and OSPI contact information when considering to apply.
Find a Summer Meals Site by Within Reach (Washington Non-Profit Organization)
Healthy Children, Healthy Lives: Barriers to Participation in the At-Risk Afterschool Meals Program in Washington State (PDF) by Montae Langston, a Bill Emerson National Hunger Fellow placed with the Children's Alliance.
This report examines barriers that current and potential nonprofit organizations at the sponsor level face in their effort to participate in the At-Risk Afterschool Meals program. Programmatic and policy recommendations are proposed which have resulted in concrete alterations by the state and supporting organizations.
- OSPI Summer Food Programs Reference Sheet (PDF) by the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction
Recommended National Resources
- CACFP At-Risk Afterschool Meals Handbook (PDF)by USDA
- Afterschool Meals Guide by FRAC.
- Brochure: Start Serving Meals at your Afterschool Program (PDF) by FRAC
- 2015 Summer Meal Webinars by USDA
- Becoming a SFSP Sponsor by USDA
- Summer Meals Planning Timeline (PDF) by Rebecca Van Maren (Refer to pages 5 & 6 for the timeline)
Summer Meals Toolkit
Check out the Summer Meals Resource Tool-Kit which has information and resources to help schools and community-based organizations start or strengthen a summer meals program with links to grants, forms, outreach materials and more.
Questions? Contact Us!
Experiencing challenges getting funding? Need further guidance? Please contact Natalie Kahn, Afterschool and Summer Meals AmeriCorps VISTA, at email@example.com and she’d be glad to help you out!