Job Listing: Assistant Controller
School’s Out Washington (SOWA) is an independent 501c3 organization serving the field of afterschool and youth development (AYD) throughout Washington State. School’s Out Washington is dedicated to building community systems to support quality afterschool, youth development and summer programs for Washington’s children and youth ages 5 to young adulthood.
Position Summary: The Assistant Controller provides general accounting functions to SOWA and provides fiscal grant support to the King County Best Starts for Kids (BSK) Out-of-School Time (OST) Contract. This position is a member of the Accounting Team. This position will track, coordinate and prepare financial schedules for BSK OST funds to meet BSK OST outcomes.
Reports to: Director of Finance and Operations (DFO)
Location: 801 23rd Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98144
- Reconcile asset and liability accounts monthly including inventory and payroll accruals and liabilities;
- Record and manage adjusting journal entries for cash vs accrual corrections;
- Preliminary review (prior to Financial Statement Preparation) of financial records monthly for reasonableness;
- Manage monthly closing process;
- Complete and submit quarterly city and state tax forms and returns;
- Coordinate with DFO And Financial & Administrative Assistant to prepare financial schedules and statements for annual audit and federal 990 tax return;
- Coordinate with DFO and Financial & Administrative Assistant for proper fiscal control and to maintain and recommend options for the continuous improvement of policies, procedures, and system enhancements to increase financial efficiency;
- Comply with federal, state, county, city and organization policies, procedures, and regulations;
- Compile statistical, financial, accounting, or auditing reports and tables across multiple sectors of financial management: Accounts, Cost Centers, Job Codes, Service/Retail Tax Jurisdiction, Fiscal Calendar, Project Calendar, Vendors, Federal/NonFederal Funding Source/Expense;
- Enter and update records in database and create reports from database as required;
- Maintain employee confidence and protect payroll operations by keeping information confidential; and,
- Access financial information to answer general questions as well as those related to specific accounts.
Best Starts for Kids Contract Fiscal Support
- Develop financial systems that comply with county requirements and adhere to SOWA accounting policies and procedures;
- Coordinate and lead the county audit process, liaise with county auditors, SOWA Accounting staff and BSK OST staff and assess changes as necessary;
- Manage contract financial collateral to meet high fidelity of fiscal controls;
- Monitor contract budget to ensure compliance and accountability and analyze performance data;
- Develop and maintain fiscal controls related to BSK OST subgranting process;
- Prepare financial schedules and reports to support contract requirements;
- Support the King County ELO Systems Director with monthly financial tracking, review and assessment;
- Coordinate with SOWA and BSK OST staff to ensure timely subgrant payments.
- Address racism, sexism, heterosexism and other discriminatory practices;
- Work toward racial equity through undoing institutional and structural racism.
- Participate in related project meetings and weekly staff meetings;
- Serve as an ambassador for the organization at all times both formally and informally;
- Support ongoing organizational cultural competency;
- Answer telephone, respond to requests for information and resources and make referrals to outside resources;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree required, additional Certifications preferred, in business administration, accounting or related field;
- Two to four years professional accounting experience, additional years may be substituted for higher education;
- Proficient in QuickBooks (super user a plus);
- Experience in GAAP and Nonprofit Accounting;
- Excellent communicator of accounting to people of all levels of understanding;
- Strong understanding and use of Microsoft suite including a high level of Excel skills;
- Experience working in and/or living in diverse communities preferred;
- Must be flexible and able to work with frequent interruptions;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple tasks at one time;
- Commitment to addressing racism, sexism, heterosexism, and other discriminatory practices;
- Competencies: QuickBooks knowledge, adaptability, attention to detail, strict observance of timelines and deadlines, written and verbal communication, open communication, initiative, analytical thinking, decision making, ethics and integrity, collaboration/partnership, achieving measureable results, racial equity and social justice advocacy.
Hours and Benefits
This is a full time exempt position.
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Classification: Exempt
Salary: $50,000 – 60,000, Annually. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Eligible for full employment benefits: including medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, 403-B plan, and Paid Time Off.
How to Apply
Best Consideration Date: May 24, 2017, 5:00 p.m. PST
(Resumes will continue to be accepted after the best consideration date. However, preferential consideration is given to those resumes submitted by the best consideration date. The announcement will remain posted until the position is filled.)
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com with "Assistant Controller" in the subject line or send to:
School's Out Washington
801 - 23rd Avenue S., Suite A
Seattle, WA 98144
School’s Out Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. School’s Out Washington has a commitment to addressing racism, sexism, heterosexism and other discriminatory practices and a commitment to working toward racial equity through undoing institutional and structural racism. Women, People of Color, people living with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.