Job Listing: Washington Afterschool and Summer Meals Expansion VISTA
Join the Afterschool Alliance and the School's Out Washington on their mission to provide low-income children with access to nutritious afterschool and summer meals. Offering meals are demonstrated factors in students’ regular participation in enrichment and academic support programs afterschool and in the summer intersession.
The Washington Afterschool and Summer Meals Expansion VISTA will help staff efforts across the state to increase afterschool and summer program participation in providing meals. Duties are located on the AmeriCorps website and also include working with stakeholders to develop expansion plans, becoming an expert regarding the USDA meal funding streams, learning about school district and nonprofit partnerships, and developing a collateral for afterschool and summer programs to utilize. This position will also help move the broader work of the Washington Afterschool Network forward.
Reports to: Policy and Advocacy Director
Location: Position will be located in Seattle, Washington
- Become knowledgeable about afterschool and summer meal program requirements;
- Identify critical gaps of service and develop plans to increase knowledge of nutrition programs;
- Identify afterschool and summer programs eligible for funding;
- Host a summit or issues conference on implementing the meal programs;
- Work with food advocates to engage non-school partners;
- Work with programs to identify and document operational barriers or policy obstacles and develop potential solutions to remove these challenges;
- Research innovative practices and strategies that other cities have used to expand Afterschool and Summer Meals; and
- Support other work of School’s Out Washington and the Washington Afterschool Network.
- Address racism, sexism, heterosexism, and other discriminatory practices;
- Work toward racial equity through undoing institutional and structural racism;
- Support ongoing organizational cultural competency;
- Participate in related project meetings and weekly staff meetings;
- Answer telephone, respond to requests for information and resources and make referrals to outside resources; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree, in business administration, accounting or related field
- Excellent communication skills and positive customer service abilities
- Competencies: Team work; Public Speaking; Community Organization; Youth Development; Recruitment; Leadership; and Communications.
Hours and benefits
- 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday
- Program Start/End Date (with potential for a second year): August 2017 – August 2018
- Relocation Allowance
- Living Allowance
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- Health Coverage
*For details about AmeriCorps VISTA healthcare benefits: http://www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare
Interested candidates should apply via the My Americorps webportal.
1616 H St NW
Washington DC 20006
Listing ID 63826
School’s Out Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. School’s Out Washington has a commitment to addressing racism, sexism, heterosexism and other discriminatory practices and a commitment to working toward racial equity through undoing institutional and structural racism. Women, People of Color, and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.