School’s Out Washington (SOWA), is seeking a consultant to provide facilitation for an in-depth planning process for developing the King County Best Starts for Kids (BSK) Out-of-School Time (OST) strategy and to inform the Request for Proposal (RFP) process.
SOWA’s mission is to provide services and guidance for organizations to ensure all young people have safe places to learn and grow when not in school. SOWA does not work directly with youth, but through an array of services strengthens programs to empower Washington’s children and youth ages 5 to young adulthood. As the leading OST intermediary organization in Washington State, SOWA is uniquely qualified to provide administrative oversight for the BSK Quality OST investment, including the grantmaking process and the provision of quality supports.
Goals for Planning
The King County Best Starts for Kids (BSK) levy will invest more than $129 million in student’s ages 5-24 years over the next five years. Increasing access to quality out-of-school time programs is a key strategy to address the approach of building resiliency of youth and reducing risky behaviors. In order to maximize the potential for success, it is essential that this effort be driven and informed by a broad representation of the community. This will require an intensive community planning process. The outcome for the planning process will be to develop the OST strategy and inform the RFP processes for awarding grants to community partners.
Timeline for Planning Process: April 2017 – June 2017
Scope of work
Facilitate Community Convenings
- Detailed agendas for the community convenings.
- Copies of materials used during the community convenings.
- Written report documenting the engagement process and the community convenings, including challenges, best practices and lessons learned from the process and the convenings.
- Strong group facilitation skills
- Expertise in strategy and theory of change development
- Expertise integrating and consensus building among diverse community stakeholders while assuring full participation
- Ability to transmit an appreciation for diversity and collaboration
- Highly skilled at translating and summarizing the discussion outcomes into potential strategies.
- Extensive knowledge of community dynamics and processes
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Total cost for the project will not exceed $10,000.
Interested individuals should provide a written response in no more than 2 pages which includes:
- Consultant’s approach and relevant experience
- A timeline and budget for the project deliverables
Email response to Mari Offenbecher (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Wednesday, April 21, 2017 at 5:00 pm.