RFQ: Racial Equity Assessment and Facilitation
Deadline for Submission: Monday, July 17th at 5:00pm
School’s Out Washington (SOWA), is seeking a consultant team to provide guidance and facilitation support to School’s Out Washington through a racial equity organizational assessment and planning process. Consulting activities will include the following:
- Recommend an organizational assessment tool and planning process for internal organizational assessment and racial equity alignment;
- Conduct the assessment and analyze results;
- Building from the assessment data, facilitate an organization-wide reflection and planning process, including a day-long all staff retreat on September 12th and at least one facilitated conversation with each of the racial equity caucuses and the board of directors.
SOWA’s mission is to provide services and guidance for organizations to ensure all young people have safe places to learn and grow when not in school. SOWA does not work directly with youth, but through an array of services and advocacy strengthens programs to empower Washington’s children and youth ages 5 to young adulthood.
Goals and Background for Racial Equity Assessment and Planning
Through our ongoing training, advocacy and leadership, School’s Out Washington is committed to leading the out-of-school and expanded learning field in Washington State toward racial equity and leveling the playing field to provide equal access and opportunity for all young people. The work we have done in partnership with the Aspen Roundtable on Community Change uses the structural racism framework as a way of more clearly understanding and problem-solving to eliminate racial inequities, as well as a tool—a Racial Equity Theory of Change—for identifying where work is most needed and how we can align our efforts with those of others also working to promote fairness and opportunity for everyone.
Over the past several years, SOWA has made considerable contributions toward racial equity in our field through training, advocacy and leadership. As we continue our dedication to racial equity, it is essential that we also continue to advance our internal racial equity policies, practices and culture to align with and undergird our external racial equity impact. For this reason, SOWA prioritized internal racial equity work in our current strategic plan with goals to engage in a continuous racial equity improvement plan, provide clearer structure for our internal racial equity work, improve our internal and external communications around racial equity, and to continue to grow our racial equity capacity through ongoing professional development. We see the racial equity assessment and planning process that will be supported through this contract as an important step toward these goals.
Timeline for Planning Process: July 2017 – October 2017
Scope of work
Conduct Organizational Assessment
Facilitate planning process
- A recommended assessment tool and process
- Summary of learnings from organizational assessment
- Facilitated two all-staff convenings (one full day date already determined on September 12, another half day date TBD) and 2-4 smaller facilitated caucus meetings
- Short written summary of the planning process and goals developed through the facilitated process
- Extensive experience in racial equity facilitation and training
- Experience leading a group process to develop a plan
- Experience supporting multi-racial nonprofit organizations through internal racial equity advancement
- Experience in promoting racial equity learning with both white people and people of color
Total cost for the project will not exceed $13,000, including planning meetings, all-staff retreats, and caucus facilitation.
Interested individuals should provide a written response in no more than 2 pages which includes:
- Consultant’s approach and relevant experience
- A timeline and budget for the project deliverables
Email response to Elizabeth Whitford (email@example.com) no later than Monday, July 17th, 2017 at 5:00 pm.