Spokane Methods Double-Header: Active Learning & Cooperative Learning (Spokane, January 26)
STARS Credits: 4
SOWA is hosting two weekend workshops in Spokane on Jan. 26, 2018. You can register for one, or for both!
Active Learning, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Do you know the difference between active learning and “hands-on” learning? Giving youth materials is just the beginning. This interactive workshop introduces the “ingredients” of active learning, explains the role that active learning plays in the experiential learning cycle, and helps participants create more powerful learning opportunities for youth.
- Have opportunities to experience active learning first hand.
- Gain experience building the six principles of active learning into their programs.
Cooperative Learning, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Do the youth in your program have opportunities to work together in groups, teaching and learning from each other? Cooperative learning is an excellent way to nurture youth leadership, build community, and keep things fun.
- Participants will be able to define Cooperative Learning.
- Participants will gain experience using a variety of group forming strategies (Group Formers) and group work structures (Group Structures).
- Participants will understand how Cooperative Learning helps to meet the social and intellectual needs of youth.
- Participants will learn how to apply four complementary strategies to engineer successful Cooperative Learning structures.
Youth Work Methods Certificate
This workshop is part of the Youth Work Methods series designed by the David P. Weikart Center for Youth Program Quality to empower direct-staff with tools that will increase the quality of their work with youth.
Attend all ten Youth Work Methods workshops and receive a certificate of completion. Ask Nerrisah Townsend, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more details. You can keep track of the Methods workshops you've completed with this form.
About the Instructor
Core Competency Content Area ?
Quality Standard Domain ?
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received. If you have a question regarding payment, please contact Nerrisah Townsend at ntownsend [at] schoolsoutwashington.org or (206) 336-6903.
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.