Spokane Methods Double-Header: Active Learning & Cooperative Learning (Spokane, January 26)
STARS Credits: 4
SOWA is hosting two weekend workshops in Spokane on Jan. 26, 2018. You can register for one, or for both!
Active Learning, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Do you know the difference between active learning and “hands-on” learning? Giving youth materials is just the beginning. This interactive workshop introduces the “ingredients” of active learning, explains the role that active learning plays in the experiential learning cycle, and helps participants create more powerful learning opportunities for youth.
- Have opportunities to experience active learning first hand.
- Gain experience building the six principles of active learning into their programs.
Cooperative Learning, 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Do the youth in your program have opportunities to work together in groups, teaching and learning from each other? Cooperative learning is an excellent way to nurture youth leadership, build community, and keep things fun.
- Participants will be able to define Cooperative Learning.
- Participants will gain experience using a variety of group forming strategies (Group Formers) and group work structures (Group Structures).
- Participants will understand how Cooperative Learning helps to meet the social and intellectual needs of youth.
- Participants will learn how to apply four complementary strategies to engineer successful Cooperative Learning structures.
About the Instructor
Quality Standard Domain ?
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received.
If you have a question regarding:
• Workshops in Spokane County, contact Benjamin Baird at bbaird [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in King County, contact Janell Jordan at jjordan [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Best Starts for Kids workshops or meetings, contact Lex Gavin at lgavin [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in Pierce County, contact Holy Chea at hchea [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• OSPI - 21st Century Community Learning Center workshops, contact Lindy Ah Sam at lahsam [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• General Community Workshops or STARS Credit for Licensed Child Care Providers, contact Nerrisah Townsend at ntownsend [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• For all other inquiries regarding trainings or workshops, contact Sheely Mauck at smauck [at] schoolsoutwashington.org or call the Seattle main office number at 206.323.2396
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.