Exploring Structural Racism (City DEEL, Seattle, Nov 14, 2019)
STARS Credits: 3
A thorough understanding of structural racism can help all professionals provide effective services for youth and their families. In this session we will explain structural racism, provide examples of and data on structural racism, and discuss implications for youth. The material can be emotionally challenging and we will provide what we hope will be a helpful structure for understanding and a learning environment for every participant to grow.
This workshop is recommended for Levels 1-3 (intermediate) Child and Youth Development Professionals and will focus on Content Area IX: Cultural Competence and Responsiveness in the Washington State Core Competencies for Child and Youth Development Professionals.
- Increase their knowledge of why understanding race and structural racism is crucial to achieving cultural competence
- Understand how history, laws, policies, practices & belief systems have interacted to produce racial disparities (also known as “structural racism”)
- Identify connections between historical racial injustices & present-day realities for youth and their families
About the Instructor
Core Competency Content Area ?
This workshop is for City DEEL initiative members only.
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received.
If you have a question regarding:
• Workshops in Spokane County, contact Benjamin Baird at bbaird [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in King County, contact Janell Jordan at jjordan [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Best Starts for Kids workshops or meetings, contact Lex Gavin at lgavin [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in Pierce County, contact Holy Chea at hchea [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• OSPI - 21st Century Community Learning Center workshops, contact Lindy Ah Sam at lahsam [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• General Community Workshops or STARS Credit for Licensed Child Care Providers, contact Nerrisah Townsend at ntownsend [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• For all other inquiries regarding trainings or workshops, contact Sheely Mauck at smauck [at] schoolsoutwashington.org or call the Seattle main office number at 206.323.2396
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.