Foundations & Self-Awareness of Social Development (Seattle, Feb 20, 2020)
STARS Credits: 3
The SEL competence and well-being of youth workers is necessary for creating programs where young people see social skills modeled and discussed. This introspective workshop is designed to support youth workers with their own ongoing social development. Participants will explore their personal identity, strengths, and values in social and professional settings, and how that influences their approach to communication, teamwork, responsibility, and leadership. Participants will identify ways to grow their social competencies and how that can impact their work with youth.
- Understand the framework for SEL and a foundation for thinking about Social Development
- Understand the concepts of social identity and intersectionality
- Explore how identity and intersectionality apply to themselves as individuals and as youth workers/staff
- Identify individual communication and personality styles and their impact in a team setting
- Utilize skills to understand how personal communication styles and identities influence relationships and group dynamics
- Assess readiness to implement teamwork facilitation and cultivating responsibility/leadership with young people.
About the Instructor
Core Competency Content Area ?
Quality Standard Domain ?
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received.
If you have a question regarding:
• Workshops in Spokane County, contact Benjamin Baird at bbaird [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in King County, contact Janell Jordan at jjordan [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Best Starts for Kids workshops or meetings, contact Lex Gavin at lgavin [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in Pierce County, contact Holy Chea at hchea [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• OSPI - 21st Century Community Learning Center workshops, contact Lindy Ah Sam at lahsam [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• General Community Workshops or STARS Credit for Licensed Child Care Providers, contact Nerrisah Townsend at ntownsend [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• For all other inquiries regarding trainings or workshops, contact Sheely Mauck at smauck [at] schoolsoutwashington.org or call the Seattle main office number at 206.323.2396
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.