Learning Community Meeting #2 (ELOQI, Tacoma, Jan 9, 2020)
STARS Credits: 3
Foundations & Self-Awareness of Emotional Development
As adults, our ability to support young people in identifying and managing their emotions starts with our ability to do the same. In this experiential workshop, participants will deepen their understanding of how people interpret and feel emotions; how they personally experience hot buttons and emotional activation; as well as explore self-regulation. Time will be spent considering the ways our own emotional self-awareness can influence our work with youth, and identifying techniques for modeling empathy and emotion management in youth programming.
- Understand the framework for SEL generally, and the emotional domain specifically.
- List common emotions and how they are frequently experienced in the body.
- Practice skills for identifying hot buttons and self-regulation when experiencing emotional activation.
- Understand the role past experiences and social identities play in how people experience and interpret the emotions of others.
- Identify techniques for modeling empathy and emotion management in their organizations.
- Plan next steps for incorporating concepts learned about emotional self-awareness into their work with youth and in their programs.
- Assess readiness to implement empathy and emotion management skills with young people
About the Instructor
Quality Standard Domain ?
This workshop is for Pierce County ELO Quality Initiative cohort members only.
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received.
If you have a question regarding:
• Workshops in Spokane County, contact Benjamin Baird at bbaird [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in King County, contact Janell Jordan at jjordan [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Best Starts for Kids workshops or meetings, contact Lex Gavin at lgavin [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in Pierce County, contact Holy Chea at hchea [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• OSPI - 21st Century Community Learning Center workshops, contact Lindy Ah Sam at lahsam [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• General Community Workshops or STARS Credit for Licensed Child Care Providers, contact Nerrisah Townsend at ntownsend [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• For all other inquiries regarding trainings or workshops, contact Sheely Mauck at smauck [at] schoolsoutwashington.org or call the Seattle main office number at 206.323.2396
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.