Learning Community Meeting #4 (ELOQI, Tacoma, Apr 23, 2020)
STARS Credits: 3
By building knowledge of emotion coaching, and developing skills that teach youth to identify and safely manage their emotional experiences, youth workers can deepen the meaning of their work and promote positive skill building with them. In this interactive session, participants explore the ways our culture and personal histories can influence our understanding and interpretation of emotions; identify best practices for facilitating effective emotion coaching; and practice skills that support young people to accurately name and navigate their emotions. Additionally, participants will plan next steps for incorporating these concepts into their work with young people.
- Understand the framework for SEL generally, and where Emotion Coaching fits within the SEL Methods.
- Explain the value that incorporating and modeling emotion management and emotion coaching brings to their youth and programming.
- Recognize the ways social identities and bias impact interactions with their youth and programming.
- Practice motivational interviewing skills that model empathy as well as encourage youth to accurately name and safely express emotions.
- Identify best practices for supporting emotion management and emotion coaching in youth programming.
- Plan next steps for incorporating concepts learned about emotion coaching with their youth and programs.
About the Instructor
Quality Standard Domain ?
This training is for Pierce County ELO Quality Initiative members only.
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received.
If you have a question regarding:
• Workshops in Spokane County, contact Benjamin Baird at bbaird [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in King County, contact Janell Jordan at jjordan [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Best Starts for Kids workshops or meetings, contact Lex Gavin at lgavin [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in Pierce County, contact Holy Chea at hchea [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• OSPI - 21st Century Community Learning Center workshops, contact Lindy Ah Sam at lahsam [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• General Community Workshops or STARS Credit for Licensed Child Care Providers, contact Nerrisah Townsend at ntownsend [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• For all other inquiries regarding trainings or workshops, contact Sheely Mauck at smauck [at] schoolsoutwashington.org or call the Seattle main office number at 206.323.2396
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.