Virtual: Exploring Structural Racism in the Time of COVID-19 (Aug 18, 9:00-11:00 AM)
STARS Credits: 2
Racial disparities are striking, enduring and pervasive and the successes of a few youth of color cannot obscure the overall pattern of opportunities and benefits that is defined by race. Structural racism is a feature of the social, economic, and political systems in which we all exist in the U.S. (Aspen Institute). This workshop will provide foundational knowledge about structural racism. Participants will identify connections between historical racial injustices and present-day realities for young people and communities of color, particularly in the times of COVID-19.
- Understand what structural racism is and how it contributes to inequitable outcomes based on race.
- Explore components of structural racism within the context of pandemics.
- Begin exploration of strategies to work towards racial equity.
About the Instructor
Core Competency Content Area ?
Quality Standard Domain ?
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received.
If you have a question regarding:
• Workshops in Spokane County, contact Benjamin Baird at bbaird [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in King County, contact Janell Jordan at jjordan [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Best Starts for Kids workshops or meetings, contact Lex Gavin at lgavin [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in Pierce County, contact Holy Chea at hchea [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• OSPI - 21st Century Community Learning Center workshops, contact Lindy Ah Sam at lahsam [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• General Community Workshops or STARS Credit for Licensed Child Care Providers, contact Nerrisah Townsend at ntownsend [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• For all other inquiries regarding trainings or workshops, contact Sheely Mauck at smauck [at] schoolsoutwashington.org or call the Seattle main office number at 206.323.2396
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.