Winter Workshops - Recharging Youth Development (CW: Tacoma, Feb 1, 2019)
STARS Credits: 4
This event is for Tacoma/Pierce County participants only. Please do not register if you are not located in this region.
Winter Workshops - Recharging Youth Development is an all-day training experience where Youth Development Professionals have the opportunity to engage in best practices through the Youth Work Methods series. The training is designed to give front line staff direct takeaway's that they can implement immediately.
Participants will have the opportunity to engage in four Youth Program Quality Method Trainings:
1. Active Participatory Approach - Youth programs can be optimized for youth needs, motivation, and engagement. The Active-Participatory Approach to youth work was designed to address these goals. This youth-centered approach is the foundation for the Youth Work Methods Series.
2. Ask, Listen and Encourage - Do you communicate with youth in a way that makes them feel supported and heard? This interactive workshop introduces various communication techniques that help you build more supportive, youth-centered relationships. Participants will learn how to ask more effective questions, to listen actively to youth, and offer youth encouragement rather than praise.
3. Building Community - Do you know what it takes to build an emotionally and physically safe space for youth? Building an emotionally safe community of peers and adults is essential for youth to learn and develop as individuals. This interactive workshop will introduce participants to a variety of activities designed to support the community building process.
4. Structure and Clear Limits - How do you prevent chaos in a youth environment without stifling youth’s positive energy? Youth need structure and clear limits in order to feel safe. This interactive workshop helps participants analyze the level of structure in their programs and practice identifying and maintaining clear limits.
Core Competency Content Area ?
Quality Standard Domain ?
- Assessment, Planning & Improvement
- Program & Activities
- Safety & Wellness
- Youth Leadership & Engagement
This event is provided only for Tacoma/Pierce County participants.
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received. If you have a question regarding payment, please contact Nerrisah Townsend at ntownsend [at] schoolsoutwashington.org or (206) 336-6903.
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.