Feed Your Brain
Fighting Summer Learning Loss and Summertime Hunger
The Feed Your Brain project provides funding and training to schools, community-based organizations, and tribes running summer learning programs in rural areas of Washington State.
In rural communities, resources for summer learning are limited. Without programs such as these, students run the risk of falling behind and forgetting the skills they worked so hard to get during the school year. Moreover, low-income children in these communities go without the free and reduced meals they receive during the school year. Only 11% of these children have access to subsidized meals during the summer months.
Feed Your Brain works to change that. Since 2001, School’s Out Washington has worked together with the Discuren Foundation, and since 2010 Page Ahead, to address summer learning loss and summertime hunger by funding summer learning programs in rural Washington State. Feed Your Brain sites participate in the Summer Food Service Program, providing children with meals they might not otherwise have had.
Since 2001, Feed Your Brain has supported more than 200 summer literacy programs, which have served more than 400,000 meals and benefited approximately 22,000 children.
2018 Feed Your Brain Grant Recipients
After a very competitive selection process, the following programs were selected to receive funding as a part of the 2018 Feed Your Brain program.
- Newport School District, Newport
- Children's Home Society of Washington, Valle Lindo Summer Program, Walla Walla
- Reardon Public Library, Stimulating Summers, Enriching Young Minds Day Camp, Reardon
- ROOF Community Services, Kids' Place, Rochester
- Foundation for Academic Endeavors, FAE Summer Academy 2018, Mt. Vernon
- 21st CCLC Afterschool Program Grand Coulee Dam School District, SHARP Kids, Grand Coulee
- Ocean Beach School District, Peninsula Active Learners, Ocean Park
- United General District 304 Community Health Outreach Programs, Middle School Concrete Summer Learning Adventure, Concrete
- Chewelah School District, Emergency! Emergency!, Chewelah
- Youth and Family Link, Explore the Outdoors, Longview
- Paterson School District, Paterson