Feed Your Brain
Fighting Summer Learning Loss and Summertime Hunger
The Feed Your Brain project provides funding and training to schools, community-based organizations, and tribes running summer learning programs in rural areas of Washington State.
In rural communities, resources for summer learning are limited. Without programs such as these, students run the risk of falling behind and forgetting the skills they worked so hard to get during the school year. Moreover, low-income children in these communities go without the free and reduced meals they receive during the school year. Only 11% of these children have access to subsidized meals during the summer months.
Feed Your Brain works to change that. Since 2001, School’s Out Washington has worked together with the Children’s Alliance, Discuren Charitable Foundation, and since 2010 Page Ahead, to address summer learning loss and summertime hunger by funding summer learning programs in rural Washington State. Feed Your Brain sites participate in the Summer Food Service Program, providing children with meals they might not otherwise have had.
Since 2001, Feed Your Brain has supported more than 200 summer literacy programs, which have served more than 400,000 meals and benefited approximately 22,000 children.
2017 Application Now Open
School's Out Washington is presently accepting applications for the Feed Your Brain 2017. Summer learning programs in rural Washington communities have a chance to receive up to $5000 in funding. Proposals are due March 27, 2017.
2016 Feed Your Brain Grant Recipients
After a very competitive selection process, the following programs were selected to receive funding as a part of the 2016 Feed Your Brain program.
- Camp WannaRead Summer in Motion, Youth and Family Link, Kelso
- Concrete Summer Learning Adventure, United General District 304, Concrete
- Farm Labor Homes Summer Program, Children's Home Society, Walla Walla
- Gess Elementary School, Chewelah School District
- Kids' Place Summer Program, ROOF Community Services, Rochester
- Ocosta Summer Program, Ocosta School District, Westport
- SHARP Kids/Summer Rocks, Grand Coulee Dam School District
- Summer Academy 2016, Foundation for Academic Endeavors, Burlington
- Whitson & Wallace and Pricillia Stevenson Summer School Program, White Salmon Valley School District
- Y Explorers: Summer Meals and Activities, Jefferson County YMCA